Life as an expat for most of us – I am guessing – is a huge advancement in our lifestyles before we left our domestic countries. Having now lived in Thailand for over a decade I am quite sure I have forgotten some of the more challenging aspects of living back in the UK. It is why when I ever think about returning to my motherland I do so with rose glinted glasses now – I can only see the positives.
Anyway as I took my short drive into my office this morning it got me thinking, what things did I do in the UK that I now don’t? This is the list I came up with during my 10minute commute in Thailand (Much shorter than my near 2-hour door to door commute when I worked in London!).
- Paying a council tax
- Defrosting my car window
- Buying warm clothes
- Wearing warm clothes whilst walking on a beach!
- Leaving my shoes on indoors
- Looking forward to a summer holiday!
- Using frozen food
- Having a bath
- Watching soaps and reality shows on TV
- Using an off-licence
- Making an appointment with a doctor or dentist
- Having a kebab after a night out
- Using car parking metres
- Sitting in a beer garden
- Having to pack my own shopping in a supermarket
- Having to go to the bar in a pub to order your drink – rather than getting table service
- Having to pay for your beer in a pub upfront
- Having a mobile phone contract – where the phone is included in the package!
- Paying for a TV licence
- Looking forward to the weekend
If you can think of more, please do add your comment below!